Bienvenue à Oldfields Hall
All students study French throughout their time here at Oldfields. They benefit from two subject specialist teachers who work closely with other schools in the pyramid to ensure consistency to aid transition, both from first schools to Oldfields, and then from Oldfields to High School. The schemes of work are designed to build confidence, whilst supporting students and allowing them to develop in all four skill areas; Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Regular assessments take place throughout the year.
Year 5 and Year 6 have one hour a week of French, taught in mixed ability form groups. Year 7 and Year 8 have 2 hours a week taught in smaller, mixed ability groups.
Lunchtime support sessions are run twice a week, including access to computers if needed.
In 2019, a group of 44, Y8 students had the opportunity to visit the Christmas markets in Lille. It was a great chance for them to experience some French culture and speak some French. We look forward to being able to offer this trip again in the future.
Year 5 Course Summary
- Revision of key vocabulary covered in Y3 & Y4
- Introduction to French phonics
- Introduction of frequently occurring infinitives
- Expressing opinions
- The farm
- My Monster – including body parts, colours and writing descriptions
Year 6 Course Summary
- French phonics
- School life, including classroom instructions, pencil case items, school subjects
- Expressing and explaining opinions
- Where we live, including geographical features, compass points, the seasons and weather, what’s in your town
- A trip to Paris – Cultural and English extended writing unit
- My house, including describing where we live and names of rooms
- Regular present tense -er verbs
Year 7 Course Summary
- Introducing yourself and others: Name, age, birthday
- Saying where you live (brief description of house/flat) and where you are from
- Revision of regular er verb endings.
- Describing yourself and other people (hair and eyes)
- In depth look at the verb avoir (to have)
- Describing your physical appearance and personality.
- Describing other people’s physical appearance and personality
- In depth look at the verb être (to be)
- Describing your family and saying why you like them/get along with them
- Regular present tense ir and re verbs
- Talking about your pets, including pets you are going to have/would like to have in the future, and a recap of the verb avoir
- Introduction to the near future tense
- Talking about jobs, including a recap of regular er verbs in present tense, and a recap of être
Year 8 Course Summary
- Daily routine, including reflexive verbs and time
- Future career plans
- Revision of present tense
- Revision of future tense
- Holidays, including places to stay, transport, activities
- The past tense (passé composé)
- Food and Drink