Bienvenue à Oldfields Hall
All students study French throughout their time here at Oldfields. They benefit from two subject specialist teachers who work closely with other schools in the pyramid to ensure consistency to aid transition, both from first schools to Oldfields, and then from Oldfields to High School. The schemes of work are designed to build confidence, whilst supporting students and allowing them to develop in all four skill areas; Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Regular assessments take place throughout the year.
Year 5 and Year 6 have one hour a week of French, taught in mixed ability form groups. Year 7 have 2 hours a week taught in mixed ability form groups, and Year 8 also have 2 hours a week, however they are taught in smaller mixed ability groups.
Lunchtime support sessions are run twice a week, including access to computers if needed.
This year, a group of 44, Y8 students have the opportunity to visit the Christmas markets in Lille.
Year 5 Course Summary
- Revision of key vocabulary covered in Y3 & Y4
- Introduction of frequently occurring infinitives
- Expressing opinions
- The farm
- Introduction to French phonics
- Talking about items used in the classroom, including looking at word order and adjective agreement.
Year 6 Course Summary
- School subjects
- Expressing and explaining opinions
- Family and Pets
- A trip to Paris
- French phonics
- Regular present tense -er verbs
Year 7 Course Summary
- Revision of regular present tense -er verbs
- Where we live, including places in the town and describing our homes
- Regular present tense ir and re verbs
- Key irregular verbs in the present tense
- Talking about school, including subjects, teachers and the classroom
- Freetime activities, including sports
- Talking about the weather
- The near future tense
Year 8 Course Summary
- Introducing ourselves and other people
- Revision of present tense
- Daily routine
- Revision of future tense
- Holidays, including places to stay, transport, activities
- The past tense (passé composé)
- Food and Drink