Design & Technology
The Design & Technology Department
In the Design and Technology department your child will experience a curriculum rich in challenge and excitement.
We aim to introduce students to a variety of materials and technologies all of which takes place in our Design and Technology suites. If you would like a tour of our department or would like to ask any questions regarding the work that our students complete, please don’t hesitate to get in contact.
Please read on for a description of the projects that your child may complete in the Design & Technology department. At Key Stage 2 and 3 (Years 5-8) students complete projects on a rotation, experiencing different aspects of design and technology.
Does your child enjoy cooking ?
Food club runs every Wednesday evening for key stage 3 pupils. Food club members experiment with recipes and develop their culinary skills to a higher level.
Year 5 Course Summary
- Design an ‘APP’ graphics project (developing graphic techniques and introducing CAD).
- Moving stories (looking at linkages)
- Clocks (product design topic where woodwork and CAD CAM is introduced)
- Dragon Dens – design and innovation challenge
Year 6 Course Summary
- Sublimation printing t-shirt competition
- Trebuchets (product design topic) students are introduced to machines and hand tools
- Food – Health eating (hygiene, food and storage)
Year 7 Course Summary
- Perspective Drawing/Graphics
- Steady Hand Games
- Metal Monsters (product design) – A metal work project inspired by insects. The copper id decorated by enamel and packaging is produced using CAD CAM. A skilled project.
- Food Tech – creating savoury family healthy meals. Seasonal foods and budget receipts are explained.
- Light Project – A material light cut and printed using CAD CAM is produced. LEDs are placed inside to create a modern lantern.
Year 8 Course Summary
- Natural forms / experimentation of materials and drawing skills
- Decorative art forms